Simply stated, garage door openers are motorized devices which job is to open and close a garage door. It’s a neat innovation that makes the operation of garage door a whole lot easier. Garage openers can be controlled via a small switch on the garage wall or a remote control that can be carried just about anywhere.
Garage door openers were invented in 1926 in Hartford City, Indiana by C.G. Johnson. It consists of a power unit that houses the electric motor and is attached to a track. There’s a trolley connected to an arm that’s also attached to the track to make opening and closing the garage door possible. The trolley is pulled back by a chain, screw, or belt.
Types of Garage Door Openers
There are several types of garage door openers and they are the following: chain drive openers, belt drive openers, screw drive openers, direct drive openers, and jackshaft openers. Each of them follows a special construction and depending on what you need, one may be ideal for use in your home.
- Chain drive opener– consists of a chain that is similar to a bicycle. It connects the trolley to the motor.
- Belt drive opener– works just like the chain drive opener but it uses a rubber belt instead of chains.
- Screw drive opener– this type has a long screw inside the track that connects to the trolley that allows for a smooth and seamless operation.
- Direct drive opener– this type has a motor installed inside the trolley, which is guided along a fixed chain using a gear wheel.
- Jackshaft opener– this opener is mounted on the wall at both ends of the torsion bar.
One of these types is installed in your garage door so if you have one installed in your home, try to know which type of opener it uses so you’ll be guided accordingly when it comes to repair, replacement, and re-installation. If you’re not sure how to check, it is best that you consult with a garage door expert.
A Closer Look at Garage Door Openers
If your garage door is remote controlled, then you’ll have a small device that you can carry anywhere. The remote control device is powered by a transmitter and receiver that control the mechanism of the garage door opener.
Aside from the remote control system, there may be additional features included in your garage door opener such as automatic courtesy lights, remote lockout feature, and tons of compatible accessories. Garage door openers may also come with different features and you may want to check each one of them before you go out to buy.
Some garage doors have a carbon monoxide sensor integrated into it so that the door opens up automatically if it gets flooded with exhaust fumes. Some can be opened not just remotely but over the internet. You can practically open your garage door even if you’re in the office or on a vacation for as long as you’re connected to the web.